FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q: What is a Life Group?
- A Life Group is a small group of people who meet weekly to study together and to connect one-on-one. Each group has a trained leader, and an average meeting lasts for about 2 hours. Life Groups offer an intimate environment for meeting and growing together with others on a weekly basis with the purpose of becoming more like Jesus. They provide a “safe” place to encourage, challenge, and support one another – so that together we can unleash a movement of passionate Christ followers.
Q: How important are Life Groups?
- Life Groups are the core of our ministry here at Rocky Peak. They’re the place where “real church” happens as we study God’s Word or another Christian topic, grow together, and share our lives. They are the primary way we connect, build relationships, and take care of one another.
Q: When and where do they meet?
- Life Groups meet on various days and nights each week throughout the San Fernando, Simi, and Conejo Valleys. There are three 10-week sessions each year in the Fall, Winter and Spring. (Life Groups do not meet during the summer.)
Q: How long do they last?
- Each Life Group session lasts ten weeks. At the end of each session, you’ll have the choice of signing up for the same group, trying a new group, or taking a break. Most groups stay together throughout the entire year.
Q: What is the required commitment?
- Joining a Life Group requires a 10-week commitment to attend each week and do the study ahead of time. It is essential to come prepared each week with completed Life Group study questions and/or reading assignments in order to effectively learn and grow together as we live out our faith in everyday life and become passionate Christ followers. Obviously, allowances are made for sickness, vacation, work conflicts and other special events – However, a strong commitment is the key to strong groups.
Q: What will we study?
- There are a variety of studies for Life Groups. Most groups will do the “message based study”, called the Life Group Study, designed to apply what you learned from the message on the weekend. Other groups will study a book based on the Christian life and still others may study a particular book of the Bible. Each week we’ll share what we are learning from our LG Study. Our goal is to learn how to live out our faith in everyday life, as we grow in becoming passionate Christ-followers. The study is designed to take 30–60 minutes and takes you to other passages in the Bible that address the same topic—as well as asks practical questions to help you apply the message.
Q: Where do I get the Life Group Study?
- You can pick up the Life Group Study at Starting Point on the patio after every weekend message. You can also download it from our website under the Life Group Tab.
Q: What does it cost?
- Few things in life are free and Life Groups are no exception! The cost of Life Groups is the cost of commitment! Also, if your Life Group is doing a special study, you may have to pay the cost of a book or study guide. At your first meeting (which is also a potluck dinner), your group will complete a covenant together. This simple form will help you discuss your goals and clarify your commitment. Part of that commitment is the promise to attend each week and complete the study. When you join a Life Group, you’re promising to attend and come prepared each week. It’s this commitment that makes Life Groups work. We realize it’s a big commitment, but it only lasts for ten weeks.
Q: What about childcare?
- Most Life Groups are for adults only, though a few groups do offer childcare at their meetings. We are working on launching more! This means, for most Life Groups, each family needs to arrange for their own childcare. Sometimes families share a sitter with another family, or even swap childcare with another family whose Life Group meets on a different evening. We realize this is a big commitment, but the best spiritual gift you can give your kids is growing parents—and it’s so important for you to model this growth in your life. We believe that your spiritual growth in a Life Group is one of the best investments you can make in your child’s spiritual future.
Q: How do I choose a group?
- We recommend choosing a group based on its leader/coordinator team and their station in life—rather than by location or meeting time. Groups usually do best when members share common interests and challenges. In the end, you’ll find it’s worth the drive! If you need help finding the right group (especially if you are new to Rocky Peak), please don’t hesitate to give us a call. And just as a heads up, sometimes it takes trying two or three groups before you find the perfect fit—but don’t worry, you’ll find it!
Q: How do I sign up for a Life Group?
- You can sign up each weekend, during Life Group sign ups, on the patio or you can also sign up online during our regular signups. You can also contact Kirsten Essiambre at firstname.lastname@example.org or 818 709 0113, ext. 105 and she will be happy to help you get plugged in!
Q: Where do I go for the first meeting?
- Your first night of Life Group will be a potluck. Your Life Group leader or coordinator will contact you the week before your Life Group starts to give you directions and help you decide what to bring to the potluck.
Q: Any last words of advice?
- Yes! Sign up as soon as possible!! The groups fill up fast, so the sooner you sign up, the more likely it is that you’ll get your first choice.
Questions? Contact S at 818.709.0113, (ext 105) or email@example.com